 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16829
    Re: There's a reason steam engines use a flywheel... —Rob Antonishen
   (...) Thanks for that addition Derek. One issue with high angular velocities is stalling. To get the high RPM you tend to need lots of gearing, and starting out can be a pig. Ideally, a high speed flywheel behind a CVT should work great, but I (...) (18 years ago, 24-Oct-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

        Re: There's a reason steam engines use a flywheel... —David Koudys
   In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote: <snip> (...) Thanks for the info, guys! I'll play around with some ideas--aat this time, the design dictates that the flywheel has to be 2 studs wide. I might go with multiple smaller flywheels (...) (18 years ago, 25-Oct-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

        Re: There's a reason steam engines use a flywheel... —Shaun Sullivan
   (...) You might consider using the LEGO magnet bricks (URL). They've got a good mass to them, and they're two studs wide. I can think of a couple different ways to fashion them into a round configuration: 1. studs facing in or out - with technic (...) (18 years ago, 25-Oct-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)