 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16790
16789  |  16791
Subject:
Easing back into the swing of things....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:14:33 GMT

After a brief vacation from this hobby, 'cause i was busy with other things and
all...

So I'm slowly getting back into it--balancing my appreciation for the brick
with, well, other stuff...

So with much further ado, here's me messing up a 2x4 red plate--

http://sandysparky.net/gallery/20061018_lego_magnet_sensor

'cause I need ways of detecting magnets, see... for no real reason other than I
wanna...

This little LEGO magnet detector may or may not be instrumental in future plans.
:)

Anyway, it wasn't that difficult--the hardest part, as usual, is the hot glue
gun--makes messes of everything--think i'll have to find something better.

The sensor itself posed a little dificulty--it has to be rotated such that the
fins inside are vertical when "looked at" from the end of the detector.  It
wasn't as sensitive to magnetic fields when the fins were horizontal and such.

Right now, the magnet detector picks up the magnets on the train bogeys, even at
the highest of speeds, as long as the magnets on the bogeys pass directly over
the detector.  If the magnet hoders are pointed to the left or right of centre,
the detector sometimes doesn't pick 'em up.

Since most train consists of more than 1 train car, that isn't a problem--the
joining of two cars put the magnets at centre.

Anyway, there you are.

Dave K