 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16691
16690  |  16692
Subject:
My soopercomputer sucks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:48:49 GMT

Chris always laments his Soopercomputer has the early P4 which sucks.

Well, I got the last generation P4 two years ago which REALLY sucks.  I didn't
realize JUST how bad it was until I actually read up on the famed Prescott
NetBurst family:

"Upon release, the Prescott turned out to generate approximately 40% more
heat clock-for-clock than the Northwood, and almost every review of it was
negative. A shift in socket type (from Socket 478 to LGA775) was expected
to reduce the heat to more acceptable levels, but in fact proved to have
the opposite effect, with power requirements increasing by a further 10%."

"Considering Intel boasted at launch the Pentium 4 architecture was
designed for 10 GHz operation, this can be seen as one of the most
significant, certainly most public, engineering shortfalls in Intel.s
history."

Sigh.  That's why I hate PCs.  You always end up buying some horrible mess that
eats power and burns a hole on the drywall behind it from fan exhaust.

Calum