 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16037
16036  |  16038
Subject:
Is the novelty wearing out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 21:51:48 GMT

Something bothered me the other day.  Are AFOLs wearing the novelty of Lego
models out for the general public?

Let me explain.  When I was 10, the Lego World Show appeared in Toronto and my
grandmother took me to the displays at Simpsons on Yonge.  I was so amazed, I
read the program book cover to cover probably a thousand times.  I pored over
EVERY page, every brick of those pictures, especially the giant space station
model.

But it only happened once, 1987.

Today, AFOLs are running Lego events every weekend.  Giant train displays,
custom built models, freelanced tradeshow exhibits.  At some point, does the
novelty of a giant Lego model wear out?  For the general public, who might not
see something like the intricacies of a model all done in SNOT, eventually say
"Oh whatever, they had a big ol' thing made of Legos at the state fair last
year!"

Has the Lego model at a public event become commodified?

Calum