 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15896
15895  |  15897
Subject:
Maybe it's the country-polite guy in me....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:04:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

But with all the animosity and yippiness in the world today, we shouldn't have
to stir the pot--even a bit.

Here's the thing--I'm not going to speak for any other member of rtlToronto
except me (being an upstanding sitting-down type member of rtlT)

I love the rtl community.  I love the idea that we have monthly dinners and the
3-4 competitions per year.  You can see that I love 'em 'cause I've been to most
of the dinners and have won--I mean, have entered at least half of the
competitions.

I love the friends I've made at rtlT, and will continue to support our little
neck of the woods.

I also appreciate the way in which rtlT runs--and that's due to the two
organizers--Chris and Calum.  They are both very fun to hang around and one can
be oneself around them.

So let's give a little credit to them for the work they've done running
Mindstorms competitions--as far as I can tell, rtlT has had more 'official
privately run' events (i.e. non-FLL/school/TLC sponsored events) than any other
LEGO group across the world (and I'm sure someone'll correct me if I'm wrong)

Beyond that, however, I have noticed that rtlT always tends towards the
'exclusionary'--'You conform to how we do things or you're really not
welcome...'  Whether it be the integrated train layouts, which do not adapt
themselves easily to 'ad hoc' additions by others, or the robot events, which
are hashed out by the members but what the organizers say is final is final.
There are exceptions and discussion is allowed, but the impression is
exclusionary.

There's this axiom--truth matters, but perception rules.  We are perceived by
others as exclusionary.  I don't like that perception.  I'm not one to cave into
peer pressure or to change for sole purpose of pleasing others, but I also like
it when frictions between persons and groups is lessned--can't we all just get
along?

All this said, I'm not suggesting at this time that we change our rtl21
rules--first because they haven't even been finalized yet, but because it is our
competition.  However, I'm also completely willing to 'crib' ideas and rules
from others if those rules and ideas work better.

And that's one of the main purposes of 'community'--for people from varied and
various backgrounds to come together and share ideas.  Why would I limit myself
to the ideas of just a few in Toronto when there's this whole group of people
throughout the world that have other ways of looking at things?

This is why I love LUGNET.  This is why I love coming here on a daily basis.
The community speaks to me, and should to all of us.  When we separate ourselves
from the community, not only do we lessen the community, we ourselves are
lessened.

I know there are specific gripes and issues at play here, not just between those
who have already posted but others as well.  Sometimes feelings get hurt.  I'll
be perfectly honest--I was a little pissed that I wasn't chosen for the NXT MUP.
I considered myself a pretty good candidate having built winning robots as well
as having a pretty good ability to convey ideas in book form (having an english
major background and all that).

However, my 'pissedness' was directed solely at the idea that I wasn't chosen.
No members of the MUP were in the scope of my wrath, nor was TLC.  The second
the NXT becomes available to the general public is the second I'm gettin' me one
:)

Bottom line, for me anyway, is--

Can we have a little less animosity here, please?  Truth is that Steve is a good robot builder.   I've met him--he's a pretty fun guy--he's not an arrogant prick (at least in person ;) ) and he has pretty good knowledge of our chosen hobby.

Truth is that Calum is a pretty good organizer/manager.  There is no disputing
that.  rtlToronto, having members that have widely differnet skills and
personalities, takes much skill to organize into a cohesive unit for a show or
competition.

Anyway, this is just how I see it.  My LEGO hobby is there to make me happy
after putting up with the 'work politiking' for 8-10 hours per day.  I don't
want to see my hobby degrade into what is starting to sound like an extension of
my job.

Take care,

Dave