 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15716
Re: event driven vs. timing driven code...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:47:22 GMT

   I think this is gonna be a great competition...

You know, I’m man enough to eat my words from before...I am looking forward to this too. I spent a lot of the weekend working on my “you come to me, I’m lazy” robot. Prompted primarily by my friend Sacha, who wrote all the software for it.

That said, I’m still extremely skeptical that this will work successfully--my original concern was that this was far too random. I think the randomness has gone down (due to Chris’ proof of concept and standardizing beacons/openings but it’ll still be a toughie to get a solid transfer.

Because of this, my strategy is this: I’m not moving, hopefully increasing the chances someone will find me and drop a block in. I figure it’s easier to drop/fire/whatever a block into another opening if I’m static than if I’m moving.

On the other side of the coin, I have the base you guys saw at dinner, and touch bumpers and a light sensor on each corner. If you are bright (eg, you’ve got your beacon near one of my corners) and you bump the corner, I will fire a block at you from the corner. Previously I had this drop slide thing. I’m now working on a block cannon, similar to what others have built. I decided between the options of springloaded (which would require me to build a weird ratchet mechanism which I couldn’t really visualize) and two wheels, I went for two wheels.

So, you guys know my strategy now, I’m hoping someone takes advantage of it. You’ll get to drop at least a block into me and if you do bump me, hold on for a few seconds, I’ll try and fire one into you.

Calum