 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15363
Re: Got balls? Heads up.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:26:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Actually, it would be kind of cool to have a module that
just circulates the eggs & balls, but only passes the balls
forward.

   That was my intention. Since the Horta eggs are slightly bigger, droping the
balls onto twoproperly spaced parallel rails should work: soccer balls fall
between the rails, while the horta eggs roll down the rails and back into the
module. Dang, now I'm going to have to place an order for some eggs :-).

Sort of like this module (from Brian Davis):

   That module could do it with very slight modification - where the balls are
lifted up one at a time, if I could contrive an outer rail that's wider than a
soccer ball but too narrow for an egg, the eggs will never get pushed forward
from the lift arm but "scraped off" back into the module.
   I had a sorter at BrickFest, but I don't know if it really got much notice -
it could be set to concentrate basketballs out of the stream, for instance.

   Another variation I've been thinking of is detecting one single special ball
to time how long it takes, on average, for one ball to traverse the GBC.
Detecting by color or pattern would be very difficult... but with the little
magnetic "dragons egg" from the Harry Potter set, a reed switch could detect it
easily & reliably.

--
Brian Davis