 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1419
Re: Turntable/transfer table thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:15:19 GMT

Jeff,

Those are all cool looking setups, and I'd have a hard time choosing
between them. The only thing I wanted to mention was, I noticed that
you are worried about space, especially with the curve, and I was
wondering if you were aware that you could use a straight track piece
in place of a right & left curve track combo when coming off of a
switching track. This fits perfectly into any track layout and saves one
straight track length 'width-wise', so-to-speak.
I've uploaded a gif to demonstrate what my words are lacking.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/heidi.strutt/curve_layout.gif
Just thought it might help you in your decision making.
Play well.

Tim Strutt   8^)

Jeff Van Winden wrote:

Hi Guys,
I need some help deciding which type of transfer/turn table to build.

Have a gander at the following pic:

I have come up with 4 different designs, And I am not sure which one to go
with.

A    Transfer table w/ 6 bays
            advantages: can handle a train 3 track segments long
            disadvantages: may have to use a 30 1/4 by 60 1/2 module.
B    Angled Transfer table w/ 4 bays
            advantages: can handle a train 3 track segments long, Cool
looking triangular shaped (round house (just for Chris...)) building can be
built for housing trains
            disadvantages: can only handle 4 bays (2 are 2 tracks long)
C    Transfer table w/ 5-6 bays
        advantages: can handle a train 3 track segments long, allows for a
fairly compact building.
        disadvantages: may have to use a 30 1/4 by 60 1/2 module.
D    turntable w/ 6 bays
            advantages: Allows for an actually Round House to be built, with
a tool shed in the middle.
            disadvantages: can only handle a train 2 track segments long

So what do you guys think?
Jeff