 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13530
Re: A slice of airplane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:25:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
"Kyle D. Jackson" <missioncontrol@sympatico.deletethisspamblock.ca> wrote:

Ughf, a damned ERJ.  Evil, evil company, that Embraer...

What's wrong with the ERJ or Embraer?  The couple of times I've flown them I
thought they were great!

I could be wrong, but IIRC Calum's actually modeling a Canadian-built
Bombardier CRJ.

Embraer was being funded by the Brazilian government, an approach we didn't take
lightly to.  IIRC Brazil was offering export subsidies for purchasers of ERJs,
making it more attractive for operators to choose them over CRJ.  Basically the
Brazil (the country) was greasing the sales of Embraer (the company) aircraft.
They countered with a charge that the Canadian government gave low interest
loans to support large purchases of CRJs.  I think it ended in a stalemate.

Either way, more ERJs sold means less sales and jobs for Bombardier, its
suppliers and Canadians in general.

Calum
PS-We should do a whole line of Canadian models for Canada Day.  CRJ's, Acela
Expresses/JetTrains, parliament buildings, BeaverTails/Tim Hortons/Harvey's fast
food joints, beavers, mounties, moose, kids playing hockey, Sea-King helicopters
falling out of the sky, men with brooms, Niagara Falls, the CN Tower...

Here's a challenge:  I'll give an octopus to anyone who can build a "vignette"
of "nationalized healthcare".