 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1274
Re: rtl8 'bot pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:53:35 GMT

Well, the problem with that is the insanely high cost of doing screen
setups.  Most of the production cost of the shirt (which I've been putting
off for ages) is really the cost of getting films made of the camera ready
art, then getting those films transferred to screens for printing.  It's a
sunk cost up front that only gets cheaper if you do more runs.  It's about
$40 per colour, so if you multiple the front (two colours, red and white)
and the back (usually three, maybe less this outing) it gets REAL expensive.
Then you need to factor in two preflashes of white ink for the darker
shirts.  That's why you need to do one shirt many many times to make it cheap.

You MAY have a great source of shirts already lined up, but I did want to
mention that John Neal, being a LEGO fan, may be able to give you a bit of a
break on pricing/setup. He does low volume shirts all the time since he runs
a silk screen business. Sometimes he does one offs to make gag gifts etc (he
did Tom McD a "brickenrocker" shirt on a lark) so he must not be paying much
for raw screen material

The downside of course is that there is shipping from the US (and possible
duty??) to contend with. I don't know if you can bring your own screens to a
shirt vendor but that's another idea too...

Just something to consider, hope it is helpful.

++Lar