 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1268
Re: rtl8 'bot pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:54:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
actually you know what would be cool is you have a picture of your favorite
theme on the front with the CN tower and a logo for rtlToronto....robotic
guys would have gears, train guys would have gears, Chris and Calum would have
"organizer" on their shirts....hmmmmm what do you think....what about the
shirts....has there been a lot of interest in rtlShirts?
I like my Lugnet shirt....so I'll have that for back-up....

Well, the problem with that is the insanely high cost of doing screen
setups.  Most of the production cost of the shirt (which I've been putting
off for ages) is really the cost of getting films made of the camera ready
art, then getting those films transferred to screens for printing.  It's a
sunk cost up front that only gets cheaper if you do more runs.  It's about
$40 per colour, so if you multiple the front (two colours, red and white)
and the back (usually three, maybe less this outing) it gets REAL expensive.
Then you need to factor in two preflashes of white ink for the darker
shirts.  That's why you need to do one shirt many many times to make it cheap.

The shirt I did for U of T MIE Industrial, a grey ash shirt without
preflash, we did 120 pieces of, and that reduced the cost to $4.51.
(Literally everyone in the department has one now :)  At 25 units, one
design equals to about $15-16 a shirt.  That's already with the significant
cost reduction in submitting already colour separated source artwork, plus
creatively designing to utilize as few screens as possible, plus going to a
company that actually operates the factory.

If you did just one with "Chris Magno*, Technic God" on the back, the shirt
would likely cost about $120. :)  The other option is to do iron on white
shirts, but hell, anyone who goes CafePress and uses PhotoShop can do one of
those.  :)  Even Team KBOT can do that... (cough)

I'm going to do an initial run of 30 shirts, btw.  Just once I sit down and
sort out the 89MByte of photos and videos Hitoshi Hirota sent me...and the
40MByte I took myself. But trust me, there will be shirts.  :)

Calum
* - or Bruce Sheridan, I'm not taking sides.