 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12124
Re: Three new Technic sets I got in Germany
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:02:02 GMT

Quick reviews:

8439 Front End Loader.  A bit of traditional beam Technic, a bit of rounded
liftarms.  Nice styling elements (A train gate is used as a ladder) and there's
a two function pneumatic system driven off of a single airtank and controlled by
two switches. Highly playable.

8386 Ferrari F1 Racer 1:10 Scale.  Looks great, but ultimately disappointing due
to a lack of features like suspension.  I put on all the stickers except the BBS
ones on the rims, they were a nice touch.  All rounded beam construction, if you
dig that sort of thing, even the rear wing.  Not very useful apart from being a
model.

Well, I imported three from Germany before they are available in Canada. Sold
two, built the third for some time, then took it apart and used the parts for
something else. It is useful for parts.

8438 Crane Truck: The best of the three, in my opinion.  All traditional beam
construction, both pneumatic and gear actuated features.  About the only
irritating thing was that a number of part substitutions were made, using the
thicker dark grey half pin versus the normal grey half pin with the collet ring
used in cranks.  It wasn't the need to substitute, it was that the changes in
the instructions were tacked on which made it confusing.

The Crane Truck is my fave and highly recommended.

(Begin Shameless Plug)

If you dig 8438 and 8439, you will like my two recent MOCs:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=1828

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=13162

See them up close at Hobby Show 2004.

(End Shameless Plug)