 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12074
12073  |  12075
Subject:
Cell Phone Hell
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:03:20 GMT

Ok, as a few people in RTL already know I'm trying to get a cell phone.
  I've figured out a very specific use case, but so far I can't find
anything that fits my needs without be ridiculously expensive.

Here's what I want:

-cell phone, low usage.
-address book and calender, syncable with an iMac

Here's what I've found.

None of bell's phones other then the actual Palms or BlackBerrys will
sync with a computer.

Rogers has 4 phones that are compatible with iSync on the Mac.  The 2
lower end phones have bad reputations and I was told not to get them.
The 2 higher end phones have Cameras which I'm not really interested in,
but oh well.  However as I recently discovered these phones don't really
have address books, they have phone books.  You can't enter a persons
street address.  You can assign them like 5 phone numbers but apparently
you'll never need to know where they live.

Telus and FIDO I haven't looked at yet.

So the Rogers camera phones seemed like a simple solution to my needs
and only slightly overkill.  However with out a true address book they
are useless to me.

So now it appears the only way I can cover my needs is to move up to the
PDAs.  But this is big time overkill, and I'd like to keep the device small.

I know Palms will sync with a Mac.  I don't know about BlackBerrys.
Looking on the rogers site, there is a quite reasonable Refurbished
BlackBerry.  Still overkill, but it's priced in the range of the other
phones I was looking at.  However the iSync page says nothing about
BlackBerrys.

I feel I'm doomed to live in a world of partial solutions.

Derek