 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10025
Re: not-too-Deep Yellow (Re: dinner is 2nd Friday!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 03:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Michael Purvis wrote:
Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I just thought I should warn anyone who is thinking about this approach...

I did some quick calculations.  It seems if you use the rnd(7) approach to
programming, and a robot with just a little brain plays red, the rnd(7) robot
will LOSE on red's fourth move 76% of the time.

OK my RND(7) robot would have a 24% chance of beating your robot.

More like a 24% chance of NOT LOSING BY THE FOURTH MOVE.

Yes, Chris, you need to read that again.  There's a 76% chance you robot won't
even make four moves!  In fact, 10% of the time, your third move won't even
matter.  Your robot has already lost.

And, I haven't done all the math, but I'm pretty sure if your robot does make it
to move #4, there's at least a 25% chance it won't get to move #5.

So, there's only a 20% chance you'll still be playing after move four.

Of course, I've seen some of your other robots.  Those are pretty good odds for
you.

Steve