 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 129
Re: Uh oh--Dave's got the 'moving things with magnets' bug...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:06:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.obb, Rob Antonishen wrote:
   Nice work Dave!

(For a moment I thought I heard “Ride of the Valkyries” in the background of the first vid, btw :)

I have a question - do either of the magnets contact the baseplates and drag along them, or are they air-gapped?

Lastly, depending on the layout, this could really be simplified by using a perpendicular trailing arm mechanism...

This will still gave a basic “dogbone” path traced out but with far fewer parts. (a few idler gears could assist in the straight areas) Depends on the friction, however.

-Rob A>

Thanks!

THere’s suppose to be a 1 plate gap between the magnet on the chain link and the bottom of the baseplate. However, if the chain is loose, the magnet pulls up so it’s touching the baseplate.

Since the magnet on the actual vehicle is ‘bricked’ right into place and the tires are pretty much solid rubber, it maintains a 1 plate distance from the baseplate.

What you showed above is a fantastic concept! However, I have bigger plans for the ‘driving around’--it may expand a bit :)

I think I wanna try your method though--for testing

Dave K