 Organizations / 510
Re: What type of LUG marker? (was Re: New Mosaic: Map of the USA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:10:50 GMT

(cleaning up the followups as the topic's straying)

In lugnet.build.sculpture, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.build.sculpture, Adrian Drake writes:
That could work, but I do want to avoid it getting TOO complicated.  I don't
know if color coding is really necessary, as most lugs are pretty well
segregated by geography already.

Some are, some aren't... some are intermingled a bit (I used MichLUG and
NILTC in my example because I know for sure they are a bit intermingled, as
they are also with IndyLUG as well, if you see, for example Scott Sanburn's
spot, which club does it go with? He's closer to where the NILTC tile would
go than he is to where the MichLUG tile would go... but he's MichLUG
nevertheless. Ditto for SMART, SEALUG and PNLTC, which are even worse, they
all have significant Seattle based membership bases).

Given the size of this map and the size of the AFOL community at this time,
is color coding for quantity really necessary? There are thousands and
thousands of dot positions on the map and even dense metro areas don't have
thousands of people that would need to be represented.

If coding for quantity is necessary, consider using shape.. 1x1 round plate
is still 1 person, but 1x1 square plate is now 10 and a 1x1 round brick is
100 or something...

But this ain't my deal, I'm just thinking out loud. You made it, you ought
to get to define how it all works I think.

Given all of that, and people who don't self-identify with any particular
LUG, I think color-coding may be too complicated.  The placement of
locations of the LUG tile (it's winning voting right now, and I think that's
a better option logistically) can be up to a LUG representative.  Each
person who wishes to have their presence documented on the map places a dot
in that location. If a dot's already there, either place one adjacent or
stack it on top. Same goes for families of AFOLs.  At some point, the map
administrator (me) can then go through and, where the population density is
too great, replace dots with 1x1 plates to represent a given quantity (to be
determined).  The more shows the map goes to, the more people can add their
dots.  But only one dot per person, so you'll have to remember that you put
one down.

That seems like a pretty nifty solution.  Now, will a 2x2 tile be sufficient
to show the LUG's logo?  Keep in mind the map is 288 studs across, so the
tiles may not be easy to see unless you're way up close, but too big and
they start dominating spaces for peopledots.   Then the question of multiple
LUGS in each region ought to be addressed too.  I guess multiple tiles.
That definitely will negate the logistical possibilities of color-coded
dots, since many people are members of multiple LUGs or LTCs.

Adrian