 Off-Topic / Geek / 915
  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

Didn't know where I should insert this into the thread... (...) V. Vinge: "A Fire upon the Deep" - anyone who's ever been upset by a non- sensical off-topic post should read this Hugo Award winner ;) I've even had some conversations with Dr. Vinge (...) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) I can hardly wait for "deepness" to come out. Fire was *that* good. My only beef with Dr. Vinge is that he doesn't write as a full time job... Many of his works have decided libertarian bents (the tinker character is another John Galt, just (...) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) "A Deepness in the Sky" is out in hardcover now. Will be out in paperback soon, check your favorite online book-seller ; ) I was at a local (San Diego) signing for Deepness, and he happened to mention that he wrote the entire thing (~1000pp) (...) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) Well, when I meant come out I meant paperback, I'm too cheap to buy hardcover. It would break me, I go through a lot of books... (...) Whoa, that's cool! (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) I used to mainly buy paperback as well, and used at that. I still buy used paperbacks, but with the various coupons and promotions I find on the web, I've been buying new hardbacks from B&N, Borders, Amazon, etc for usually 1/4 - 1/3 cover (...) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) That's what libraries are for. :) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) Last time I checked, most libraries don't fit in the overhead compartment, much less under the seat in front of you. :-) So taking the library with me is out, that only leaves borrowing individual books. Run the numbers here with me, if you (...) (25 years ago, 25-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)

(...) True, that can be a problem. You can skip the first part by using an online catalog, though. Most decent-sized libraries have them these days. (25 years ago, 25-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)