 Off-Topic / Geek / 931
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 05:53:23 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Well, when I meant come out I meant paperback, I'm too cheap to buy
hardcover. It would break me, I go through a lot of books...

That's what libraries are for. :)

Last time I checked, most libraries don't fit in the overhead
compartment, much less under the seat in front of you. :-) So taking the
library with me is out, that only leaves borrowing individual books. Run
the numbers here with me, if you would. I have to get to the library in
my home town, when it's open... rummage around for a best seller, which
won't be there, and then get on the waiting list, go back again when it
comes in, and go back AGAIN when I'm done. That's three trips.

My library is open 9-6 on weekdays. I'm never there on weekdays. So
those three trips ain't gonna happen.

I've tried getting library cards in the cities I happen to be in during
the week, but there's this pesky residency thing I haven't been able to
hack through yet.

So no, it's the bookstore for me. Bookstores are everywhere, they're
open late, and I don't have to return stuff to the same location.