 Off-Topic / Geek / 749
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:58:57 GMT

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 05:07:25 GMT, "Richard Franks"
<spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote:

So what's wrong with it? The fact that it's written in Java and runs like a
lame dog? Presumably that will become less of a problem. It's worthy of some
interest though if only because it'd be nice to have an open alternative to
MSOfice!

Well, noting that I'm speaking mostly as a channel for other people
since I have little experience myself: It leaks memory worse than
Netscape 4, it crashes more often than Win98, and the user interface
sucks (according to those who're forced to use it) worse than Internet
Explorer 4.

That said, if you have a *nix box, it's still better than Office on a
separate and/or dualboot NT/9x box. Whether it's better than Office on
NT on VMWare on *nix is a matter for (quite lively, I might add)
debate.

Jasper