 Off-Topic / Geek / 5029
Re: Is there a standard syntax?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:39:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler wrote:
Hi All:

I know next to zilch about programming, even in DOS, so this question is asked
in ignorance and good faith.

If I'm writing a .bat program to copy a file from a known, static location on
the web, is there a standard format by which the hyperlink is referenced?
Specifically, if I'm copying the file c:\doofus\dolt.txt, I know how to refer to
it, but if it's http://www.dolt.com/doofus/dolt.txt, I don't know how to point
the .bat file to the location.

Any help is appreciated.  Alas, I need to write this as a DOS-friendly .bat
because that's the job as its been handed to me.

Dave, I'm pretty sure you can't do it without an external program. If you have
FTP access to the file, you can use the command-line ftp program included with
most msdos versions, otherwise you will need a non-dos program, I would
recommend GNU wget, which you can find here http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/
but there may be others around.

Don't ask how I got this assignment...

OK!

After I left work last night I realized that my formulation of the question was
really feeble, so here's some more info, if it helps.

I guess it's not *really* DOS but is intead a DOS shell running on Windows XP.
In my former department I used a "file.bat" program that did exactly what I'm
trying to describe--it copied several files from an online source to my local
network drive, from which they were then accessed for use in daily processing.
I can almost but not quite remember how the line of code looked when I opened
"file.bat" for editing, and I'm trying to reproduce it except with the currently
needed address.

Thanks for your input, though!  I might be able to track down a copy of the old
"file.bat" program and just work from that.

Dave!