 Off-Topic / Geek / 4685
4684  |  4686
Subject:
Hosting (was Re: SpamCop trouble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 15:47:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger wrote:

I'd say go with a respectable host (Pair comes to mind), and you will
never regret it.

I agree with Dan, go with a good host... And Pair is defintely a good one!

However this seems a good place to put a plug in for Eric Smith's outfit,
Northstar Computer Systems(tm). (www.northcomp.com) Eric is a LEGO fan in his
own right as well as quite asp/.net/sql server/vb (and other MS technology)
knowledgable

If you are comfortable with using MS based technology (and not everyone is) his
hosting is great. It has been very very solid. As you may know, he hosts
BrickLink(tm), so he's not just a fly by night hoster, BrickLink has pretty
significant traffic...

Northstar also hosts a lot of community sites, including:

- the Guild of Bricksmiths(tm) (www.bricksmiths.com)
- ILTCO(tm) (www.iltco.org)
- The Brickish Association(tm) (www.brickish.org)
- MichLUG/LTC (www.michlug.org)

and many other LEGO club sites as well... (all of these are hosted as a public
service to the community with no cost to the organization)

He also hosts my own commercial site, Milton Train Works(tm)
(www.miltontrainworks.com) as well as other LEGO related commercial sites, such
as Mike Walsh's and others...

So while Pair is great, if MS is ok by you, Northstar is definitely worth
considering, especially if you value giving business to a fan when you can.

MOST especially a fan who gives back to the community the way Eric does.

Hope that helps.

++Lar