 Off-Topic / Geek / 4374
  Web Servers

Is there anywhere I can go to find out how to set up my own server on my home computer, or anyone who can tell me how to do so? I do have broadband cable internet, so is this enough for me to set up my own server? And, what kind of software and (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

(...) I use a few things-- Apache web server (www.apache.org) DNStoGo (www.dnstogo.com (iirc)) and a Compaq p2300 with a 3.2 gig HD running Windows 2000 (basically so I can use the built-in FTP functionality of Win2K.) That's it. The cable company (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

(...) Can I use something similar to DNS2Go instead? Max (21 years ago, 21-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Max Maxwell wrote: <snip> ... (...) You can use whatever you want. I found that this particular setup works for me but your mileage may vary. I dunno if it's DNS2Go, but http, ftp, and a slew of other internet software gets (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

(...) I think this might be the URL for DNS2Go (URL) one you gave didn't work for me... Hope that helps. (21 years ago, 21-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

(...) better than mine--i didn't look it up. silly me :) (21 years ago, 21-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

(...) Could you walk me through setting up the Apache to put my pages on the web? Or just a FAQ or something. I've read the documentation and Apache FAQs, and I just can't seem to understand much of it. I don't think I'm that much of an "advanced" (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Web Servers

(...) Oh yeah, I guess some system info would be nice, if someone wants to help me setup my Apache web server. I'm running Windows XP Home, with cable internet running through a router. Thanks for the help. Max (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)