 Off-Topic / Geek / 4276
Re: Technotonta desperately seeks help from tech savvy geeks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Maggie Cambron writes:
And I supposedly went back to the system settings in place
Friday before I messed with anything, but nothing has helped.

Is it the case that you used the "system restore" utility in WinXP?  That
should probably have worked.

I'm not sure what Netscape may have done to your system but I think one
possibility is a java runtime thing.  That might answer the question as to
why it happened after you installed Netscape.

My other guess is that something is making the windows registry crazy, or
that there are somehow one too many nonsensical entries in there at this
point. A utility like "system mechanic" or "registry first aid" might
resolve your problem without your knowing how it does it or having to
yourself understand the the nuts and bolts of the registry system.

A third possibility is that you have dozens of shortcuts on your desktop and
it is my understanding that such shortcuts if overly numerous make windows
crazy.

If things are as bad as you say AND you don't have too much software
installed on your machine besides the basic stuff that came with it AND
after backing up your own VERY IMPORTANT STUFF to cd-roms, you might
consider using the quick recovery disks that may have come with your system
when you first got it.  HP and Compaq have such disks, your vendor may also
have supplied you with such a thing.

-- Hop-Frog