 Off-Topic / Geek / 4275
4274  |  4276
Subject:
Technotonta desperately seeks help from tech savvy geeks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 04:15:05 GMT

Last night I thought I would upgrade my browser (NS4.7), so I downloaded the
latest version (7.02) even though it took about three hours with my slow
connection.  When it was done, I noticed my computer had slowed down
considerably. I actually thought something happened making me incapable of
opening IE, but it was just that it took about three full minutes.  And
something happened to all the settings I was comfortable with.  And suddenly
there were all these blasted pop-up ads.  Anyway, I finally lost patience and
uninstalled the new version, but now everything is still excruciatingly slow.
My media player, which normally takes about 2 seconds to open, takes two full
minutes.  And opening my browser takes three painfully slow minutes.  Normally
although my internet connection is slow, my computer itself is pretty fast.

I've done the suggested things in the Windows XP Help section like getting rid
of things I didn't need, and I defragmented the disk and also compressed my
unused files.  And I supposedly went back to the system settings in place
Friday before I messed with anything, but nothing has helped.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.  It is terribly frustrating to
have to wait several minutes to open any application.  And BTW to those who
think that Lugnet consists entirely of technologically savvy geeks, I present
myself as living proof that it ain't so.  Not completely.

Thanks,

Maggie C.