 Off-Topic / Geek / 4264
Re: Retina scanner?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 16:59:08 GMT

Okay, you made a point. It should be called "cornea photographer" or
something like that.

Robert Seifert

(but still, isn't it good approximation? I mean it's still lego, you cannot
expect something such sophisticated as retina scanner. That was what I meant)

You can call it nitpicking if you ignore the implications, but it's like
saying you've built a fingerprint scanner when what you're actually doing is
photographing the _back_ of someone's hand.

From a few basic measurements of the image, you can probably tell a handful
of people apart, but it's not the full job because you're not actually
scanning what you said you were.

The cornea doesn't have the distinct patterns like the blood vessels on the
retina, and it's easily disturbed by dirt, irritation, the amount or
moisture on the surface, lighting, or contact lenses.  That's why the secure
option is to direct a laser straight through the lens of the eye and scan
the retina, which this isn't doing.

Jason Railton