 Off-Topic / Geek / 4160
Re: How would you move a planet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:58:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Nevermind the fact that the Federation uses the ancient Roman era navel
combat model.

Ya know, I'm not sure I've really seen ANY sci-fi shows that feature
"realistic" starship tactical combat.  They all tend to rely on surface
naval formations at least a hundred years old...  The only possible
exceptions I can think of are Star Wars and Babylon 5 -- both shows used a
carrier group model with fighters for the actual combat.

Actually Star Wars uses the World War I navel model. Capital ships are the main
combat units. Fighters travel roughly the same speed as the capital ships and
are used primarily for harrasment.  They have very little ability to cause
serious damage to most capital ships without an exploitable weak spot, or
flying inside. Keep in mind this is based on the canon evidence of the movies
not the ignored source of the excellent X-Wing/TIE fighter games for the
computer.

Has anyone seen starship combat on the screen depicted in a way that might
actually work?

Babylon 5 is the closest I have seen. Their ships actually follow the
principles of inertia and momentum for starters. The fighters actually have
thrusters in all directions and do not behave as though they were flying like
airplanes.

-Mike Petrucelli