 Off-Topic / Geek / 4116
  A space physics question

Imagine a winch pulling a rope or cable through a series of pulleys (horizontal) that are staked to the ground. The pulleys are arranged so that the rope makes a zig zag pattern on the ground. There is an object at one end of the cable, being reeled (...) (22 years ago, 28-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) ... (...) It would be far more efficient to attach thrusters to the object being winched and move it to that location - or, if that is not possible, attach the tether line (which you've got on your object being moved) to a tow ship. Assuming (...) (22 years ago, 28-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

"Jon Palmer" <jon@zemi.net> skrev i meddelandet news:H7uLH0.I7r@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) This is where the force equations will hit you hard :-) The next pulley will suddenly get a great force through the line, and needs to increase it's thrust (...) (21 years ago, 28-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) it's all relative isn't it. you could set up a thruster system to ensure that your anchor point wouldn't move, relatively. (...) yes, again, this is possible the key here is that you zig zag points stay the required distance apart. (...) this (...) (21 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) I'll say "sure" but with this question as a follow-up. Pulleys are usually used on Earth to gain a mechanical advantage. In space, since the object is weightless (but still has mass!) there isn't the need for the pulleys... at least as far as (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) weight in space so we'll talk in inertia or mass. If you are a single person winching a large object such as a ship or asteroid or other large mass... then if we apply Einstein's space-time theory the object with the larger mass will move less (...) (21 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) Imagine a thread. A really interesting thread. The thread gets started but is arranged in a linear fashion, so that none of the responses are responded to. Apparently linear isn't as interesting as a zig zag pattern, so the thread appears to (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) SNIP (...) Why not just artificial singularities instead of pulleys? Place pairs of singularities orbiting around each other in a ring pattern. the orbital plane of each pair is perpendicular & equidistant to the center anchor singularity. (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

Great reply. I've got to resolve this. Sorry I let it go but I was trying to keep my weird idea under wraps...not very cool considering how much interest I drummed up. Read this chat transcript and it might be more clear: (URL) j o n ] -- | Lego - (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) Great job on the .space page so far! A few points first: - in the absence of gravity, the force on the pulleys will only exist if the object in tow is continuously accelerating. Remember, accelerating can mean following a curved path as well (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)