 Off-Topic / Geek / 4118
Re: A space physics question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:44:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jon Palmer writes:
Imagine a winch pulling a rope or cable through a series of pulleys
(horizontal) that are staked to the ground. The pulleys are arranged so that
the rope makes a zig zag pattern on the ground.  There is an object at one
end of the cable, being reeled in by the winch at the other end (ignore for
now that the object would collide with the pulleys)

The pulleys and winch stay in place because they are anchored to the ground.

Now imagine this setup on a much larger scale in space.  The pulleys and
Winch, no longer tethered to anything, would not be able to stay in the same
spot.

But what if the winch and pulleys had thrusters on them to maintain their
position?  Is that possible?

I'll say "sure" but with this question as a follow-up.

Pulleys are usually used on Earth to gain a mechanical advantage.  In space,
since the object is weightless (but still has mass!) there isn't the need
for the pulleys... at least as far as I can see.  So my question is, "are
the pulleys a decorative part of this scenario?  Or do they serve yet
another function which hasn't been discussed?"

Start with the winch.  It's reeling in the object at the other end of the
cable.  In my mind the winch would also reel it's self in, so that it and
the object would meet in the middle.  If it had thrusters, in this case
aimed towards the object, could it maintain it's position if it supplied
thrust which was equal in energy to the pulling of the cable?  Disregard
fuel use etc.. Imagine that the thrusters could maintain a constant rate
throughout the reeling process.

So now think about the smaller pulleys that are spaced out along the cable.
In order for them to maintain the precise zig zag pattern (this is crucial)

This was what triggered my question above.  What is the significance of the
zig zag pattern?

they would need thrusters too.  I imagine if they didn't have them the winch
and object would eventually pull the length of the cable straight.

Agreed.

Imagine for a moment that this is possible.  The small pulleys would
disengage and shoot away (or explode perhaps)

I always liked the idea of explosive bolts etc.   :)

from the cable just before the
object hit them.  This would correct the course of the object.  ex: It was
going left, now it's going up and to the right, on its way to the next
pulley.

Thoughts?

Yup... still wondering what's with all the zigging and the zagging.

All the best,
Allan B.