 Off-Topic / Geek / 4051
Re: Firefly Fans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 02:34:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Just a quick note wondering if there are any other fans of 'Firefly' out
there?  As with all sci-fi, there is always a bit of cheese, but overall I
am really getting into this series. The TechWest concept has always
appealled to me (Westworld, Bravestarr, Galaxy Rangers, Sabre Riders etc.)
and it's refreshing to see these genres grafted together again.

Although some episodes have hit and others missed, a recent one featuring
the injured captain having blood loss induced flashbacks dealing with 2
continuites....revealing the coming together of the crew, and the
circumstances leading up to his injury...was excellent storytelling.

I think the strength of the show is that it tries to pivot on plot and
character development, not special effects and Deus Ex Machina solutions.
Technology is a backdrop and often an antagonist, not the focus.

Hope it gets some fanbase going.  Although if the demise of Farscape is an
indication, it may be another brief jewel.

Well.... I sat through an entire episode tonight, on purpose.  :)

I can't say that it made a 'fan' out of me.  I'd still take Enterprise over
this show anytime.  However, I still love the concept, though not some of
the details.

1)  The Union of Allied Planets?  Can anyone say 'redundant'?  Shows like
this that don't utilize some of the more expensive special effects and sets
found on shows like Enterprise need to focus a great deal on names, places,
dialog etc.  A silly name like that doesn't lend credibility to an already
cheap show.

2)  That flying ambulance thingy was neat, save for the fact that it looked
like a rotorless Hind helicopter.

3)  The fact that most everything on the ground looks like present day
artifacts doesn't jive with the 500 years in the future story line.  Take a
look at how Blade Runner extrapolated modern ideas into the near future and
you can see that this show misses when trying to add a few centuries to the
timeline.

4)  During the scene where they were buying uniforms and fake I.D.'s we see
the one fellow (Jane?) wearing what looks like an old army jacket bought at
a 20th century surplus store.  That one really bothered me.  Sure, the style
might have survived 500 years, but that jacket looked as though *it* had
survived 500 years.  Just didn't wash with me.

All those nitpicky complaints aside, I will likely watch it again.  I don't
think I'll find myself trying to model the ship itself, but I do want to
soon begin working on another dropship design I've got in mind.

So, to conclude... I'd give that episode a 4 out of 10.... with high hopes
for better things to come.

All the best,
Allan B.