 Off-Topic / Geek / 4045 (-10)
  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) A recent commercial for some make of Kia shows a series of crash test simulations, apparently to tout the durability of the vehicle. The voiceover concludes by saying "Pretty impactful, eh?" Impactful! As of this morning, neither (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) Yes, 'impact' can be used as a verb, but not when the author/speaker should be using 'affect' or 'influence.' People seem to use it when they're trying to make a greater 'impact' on their audience, and that bothers me. I'm not alone on this: (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) My university would always say a major was "currently impacted" instead of "full." Geez. (...) There seems this mass delusion that the word "flaunt" is the word "flout". Why would he wave your warning about in a brazen fashion? I don't get it. (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

Dave Schuler wrote in message ... (...) flaunted (...) These people are trying to say "flout", but can't tell the difference. Maybe it's the American accent that causes the problem <g,d&r> Kevin ---...--- NEW Cottage kit, 577 pieces! (URL) TOWN (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) You might not want to impact them too hard... I checked four different dictionaries (three printed, one online) and can find in each a reference to the word 'impact' being both a noun and a transitive verb. (1) Ex. Noun = a striking together; (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) I live in Northern California and those words mean exactly the same thing they mean to you. BTW I spent most of my teenage years in Western Washington and never owned an umbrella until I went off to college-- in Baltimore! Maggie C. (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) I guess I just inherently know what is meant by each of those words including rain and rainshower activity when used by a Western Washington forcaster after having lived here my whole life. Rain means that the area in question is going to have (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? It's like the apocryphal saying that Inuits have 47 (or so) words for snow. In fact, they don't; they have a word for fluffy snow, a word for wet snow, a word for dry snow, a word for drifted snow, a (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) I'm going to have to stick up for Methodology. A good methodology is way more than just method. (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) You don't live in Washington do you? There's a big difference between rain and rainshower activity here. Not to mention drizzle, mist, showers, thundershowers, downpours... Jason (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact