 Off-Topic / Geek / 4044
Re: Geek Speak?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:03:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:

You might not want to impact them too hard...

I checked four different dictionaries (three printed, one online) and can
find in each a reference to the word 'impact' being both a noun and a
transitive verb. (1)
(1)  Unless I've misread your posting.  I can't quite tell if you know that
'impact' is a verb, but one that is misused. Or, if you aren't happy with it
ever being used as a verb.  If I've misunderstood, my apologies.

Yes, 'impact' can be used as a verb, but not when the author/speaker should
be using 'affect' or 'influence.'  People seem to use it when they're trying
to make a greater 'impact' on their audience, and that bothers me.  I'm not
alone on this:

http://www.bartleby.com/64/pages/page106.html
"Eighty-four percent of the Usage Panel disapproves of the construction to
impact on, as in the phrase 'social pathologies, common to the inner city,
that impact heavily on such a community.' Ninety-five percent disapprove of
the use of impact as a transitive verb in the sentence 'Companies have used
disposable techniques that have a potential for impacting our health.'"

see also:
http://www.electriceditors.net/misc/peeves.htm
http://www.xrefer.com/entry/594101

Jeff J