 Off-Topic / Geek / 4041
Re: Geek Speak?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:30:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeff Jardine writes:

No comment on the origin of "me like," but here's a misuse that really
cheeses me off: overuse of the word 'impact,' especially as a verb.
It used to be a noun meaning a physical collision, but is often used when
the speaker should be using 'affect' or 'effect.'  The aggravating part is
not so much the misuse, but rather the people who use it - they almost
always seem to be trying really hard to sound like an expert on whatever
topic they're discussing.  I'd really like to impact those people right in
the head.

You might not want to impact them too hard...

I checked four different dictionaries (three printed, one online) and can
find in each a reference to the word 'impact' being both a noun and a
transitive verb. (1)

Ex.

Noun = a striking together; collision

Verb (t) = to press or drive firmly into something

Then of course there is the word 'impacted' which is an adverb.  Often used
in the dental sense, "he had an impacted widsom tooth."

Other pretentious workplace words that are annoying:
Functionality - it has a FUNCTION, not FUNCTIONALITY!

Whereas I would say it has many functionS.  Although working in a computer
development job I use the word functionality more often than not.  :)

Methodology - What's wrong with 'method?' Why use five syllalbes when two
will do?

To me, 'methodology' is just business-speak for a course of action or
strategy.  It is often overused by software architects and other folks who
think they know more than you.

Does anyone else out there has their own linguistic pet peeves?  I'm
literally all ears. ;)

I'm surrounded with business-speak all day; much of which causes me to shake
my head.  Apparently I loathe it so much that I've blocked it all, for I
can't think of a single example.  But I will... as soon as I post this, I'm
sure.  :)

All the best,
Allan B.

(1)  Unless I've misread your posting.  I can't quite tell if you know that
'impact' is a verb, but one that is misused. Or, if you aren't happy with it
ever being used as a verb.  If I've misunderstood, my apologies.