 Off-Topic / Geek / 4040 (-10)
  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) I live in Northern California and those words mean exactly the same thing they mean to you. BTW I spent most of my teenage years in Western Washington and never owned an umbrella until I went off to college-- in Baltimore! Maggie C. (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) I guess I just inherently know what is meant by each of those words including rain and rainshower activity when used by a Western Washington forcaster after having lived here my whole life. Rain means that the area in question is going to have (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? It's like the apocryphal saying that Inuits have 47 (or so) words for snow. In fact, they don't; they have a word for fluffy snow, a word for wet snow, a word for dry snow, a word for drifted snow, a (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) I'm going to have to stick up for Methodology. A good methodology is way more than just method. (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) You don't live in Washington do you? There's a big difference between rain and rainshower activity here. Not to mention drizzle, mist, showers, thundershowers, downpours... Jason (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) As far as I'm aware, the first on-screen use of that "verb" was in Star Wars, when someone observed that proton torpedos "didn't go in, just impacted on the surface." (...) "Proactive" is a particular bugaboo re: workplace pretensions, but it (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geek Speak?

(...) No comment on the origin of "me like," but here's a misuse that really cheeses me off: overuse of the word 'impact,' especially as a verb. It used to be a noun meaning a physical collision, but is often used when the speaker should be using (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) Good Science is good but they need to get it right. The propelent in firearms contains its own oxidents (SP) a modern firearm will fire in a vacumm. Think about a bullet, the powder is inside a metal casing capped with a plug (the bullet) (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) I agree. FYI - Galaxy Rangers was my favorite. (...) I agree again. This is my favorite episode so far. (...) I'm on the wagon Mark M. (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Geek Speak?

I tend to be very aware of linguistic quirks, such the overuse of the word "literally" (ie, it's literally raining cats and dogs out there) or the whole implied/inferred conflation. In my more uptight past I used to get annoyed by some of these, but (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact