 Off-Topic / Geek / 4034
Re: Geek Speak?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:37:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
I tend to be very aware of linguistic quirks, such the overuse of the word
"literally" (ie, it's literally raining cats and dogs out there) or the
whole implied/inferred conflation.  In my more uptight past I used to get
annoyed by some of these, but then I got my head out of my #ss and realized
it's not actually that big a deal except in formal communication, and often
not even then.

No comment on the origin of "me like," but here's a misuse that really
cheeses me off: overuse of the word 'impact,' especially as a verb.
It used to be a noun meaning a physical collision, but is often used when
the speaker should be using 'affect' or 'effect.'  The aggravating part is
not so much the misuse, but rather the people who use it - they almost
always seem to be trying really hard to sound like an expert on whatever
topic they're discussing.  I'd really like to impact those people right in
the head.

Other pretentious workplace words that are annoying:
Functionality - it has a FUNCTION, not FUNCTIONALITY!
Methodology - What's wrong with 'method?' Why use five syllalbes when two
will do?

Does anyone else out there has their own linguistic pet peeves?  I'm
literally all ears. ;)

groan.

Jeff J