 Off-Topic / Geek / 3737
    Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Frank Filz
   (...) Crud, you managed to respond to the one I realized was wrong and canceled... (...) There's quite possibly some slight errors. I remember the guy claimed you needed high precision computation to generate the table, it's possible he was using a (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) Doh! Sorry. (...) I don't know about patents, but I have read several discussions that suggest that a game's core mechanics can not be protected IP, that only the turn of phrase with which they are explained and fleshed out can be (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Frank Filz
   (...) Well, if computer algorithms are patentable, then the algorithms which form the core of a game system should be patentable (after all, a game system is just a "program" for "human computers"... Really, if you think about it, what is the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) Why? Is it just exciting to imagine it? (I like fight scenes in movies.) I particularly seek to reward my players for solving problems without combat. (...) I think the chance of dying should be real, if not certain, and the GM should (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Frank Filz
     (...) I guess it's the wargamer in me which enjoys running tactical combats. I'll also admit to a bit of laziness (it's easier to throw a bunch of foes at the PCs than to come up with an interesting mystery). (...) I prefer not to fudge things, but (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —John D. Forinash
   (...) It's not that simple... the GM _has_ to fudge things to keep PCs alive. If the party is in the warp core engine room and someone chucks in a big ol' grenade, there's two choices-- someone throws himself on it and becomes goo, or nobody does so (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Frank Filz
   (...) <snip> (...) This sounds to me like a scenario which isn't designed correctly for the tone of the campaign the GM wants to run. I also question the bit: "but you do have to be flexible to get the story where it needs to go." To me that sounds (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —John D. Forinash
   (...) Because I'd like my players to be happy. I could instead, decide about how long it takes for a saboteur to blow up the ship, and then after fifteen minutes of game time have passed, say, "The walls of the ship glow white-hot and then you don't (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Frank Filz
   (...) I'm curious, was this an example of a real scenario, and I'm just missing things because there's no way you can compress a game session into a posting or two, or is this a constructed example? If the latter, it sounds like a poorly constructed (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —John D. Forinash
   (...) It was just a quick example off the top of my head-- certainly, any such example will have piles of nits one can pick, and that's sort of my point-- anything's gonna have those sorts of problems, and finding those problems is exactly what PCs (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG —Frank Filz
   (...) Ok, this points out a problem with constructions like this, they will have far more holes than something that was thought out. This particular construction is actually a good thought exercise for working out gming and campaign style. If (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)