 Off-Topic / Geek / 3485
3484  |  3486
Subject:
Physics/Materials geek question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 08:05:19 GMT

I know there is a difference between the yield strength of a material under
load, and its strength under projectile impact.

What I'm wondering -- and this is a little like our "going to Mars"
questions -- is to estimate how much abuse will some typical tent fabrics
take from small projectiles? For example, at what speed does a small rock
kicked up by a truck puncture a canvas tent?

If you need numbers, assume the rock is a 1 cubic cm pebble of 100 grams.
Ignore the sharp corners, or make up "geometry constants" for different
impact presentations. The truck fires rocks perpendicular to the tent
surface (broadside) at speeds of 10-90mph. The tent costs no more than $300.