 Off-Topic / Geek / 3491
Re: Physics/Materials geek question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:55:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Erik Olson writes:
I've figured out a better way - if the data entry guy stays *in* a truck all
day, he has less to worry about.... ties up that truck though.

I'm still going to build a catapult though. Going to test it on household
materials first... I imagine I can find some concrete bits for projectiles.

A gravity-powered catapult is called a trebuchet.  This site is a good place
to start:
http://trebuchet.com/
There are lots of links to other sites with plans, etc.

I made a small one last summer, with a beam ~50cm long.  It can fling a ~10g
rock over 50m.  Much fun!  You'll probably have to go bigger to achieve the
speeds you're looking for.

Jeff J