 Off-Topic / Geek / 3342
Re: Excel Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 23:40:08 GMT

Thanks Steve

Steve Bliss wrote:
1. Use MS-Access instead.
Trying to keep it simple and within one package.

2. Brute force it, using a formula with a nasty set of nested =if()
functions, like =if(b2="x",1,if(c2="x",2,...))

thought about- didn't want to go there

3. Use hlookup.
neat idea!

4. Write a VB macro to figure it out.
again- I'm trying to stay within excel.  It's wierd- I've encountered so
many people in the sciences who haven't realized all the cool stuff
excel can do on it's own.

There's probably an even easier way to do it than this, but I was in a hurry. :)

I actually used LOOKUP instead of HLOOKUP and it worked great.  I tried
a pass at HLOOKUP and couldn't get it to work when I discoovered
LOOKUP.

What I really need to do is get the font fixed on the MS help- it's
shrunk down to a very small illegible type.  Anybody got any ideas on
this? :)

Thanks again!

-chris