 Off-Topic / Geek / 3340
3339  |  3341
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
Excel Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 00:08:31 GMT

here's the sitiuation...
I have an excel data set in the following format:

obs 1am 1pm 2am 2pm 3am 3pm ...
1 x
2 x
3 x
4 x
and so on up to 560 observations.

This is data describing seedling germination (1am refers to germinated
the first day in the morning, 1pm is the afternoon of the first day).
There are about 60 days of data which makes about 120 columns.  What I
need to do is convert this data into a format something like this:

obs time
1 3
2 4
3 3
4 5
and so on

The time variable would be a number that refers to the germination date.
1am would equal '1', 1pm would = '2', 2am would equl '3' .....
I can make a translation table to get the original date if i need it
again.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this in Excel?  This is for an
undergraduate research project for which I am serving as an advisor.  I
know I could do with perl or fortran or something, but I don't think she
is quite up to that level yet.

Thanks in advance!

-chris