 Off-Topic / Geek / 3145 (-20)
  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I get 3.5 days, ignoring the motion of the earth toward the moon. Don't worry about the cookie - LUGNET provides free cookies for us all. :) Jeff J (23 years ago, 29-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Well, it's more about the angle the wing is inclined to the airflow. Just keep it tilted upward to the air flowing past you, keep your speed up, and you should get some lift. Newton says you're deflecting air downwards. Aerodynamics says a lot (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

Narf! You're welcome. "Jesse Alan Long" <joyous4god2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GFnI8o.KF4@lugnet.com... -snip- (...) some fun, (...) (Perry (...) that is (...) even if (23 years ago, 29-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I guess it would be based on the surface material properties. Different materials have different thermal emissivities, so picking one with a high value would be better for cooling directly to space. Of course these materials may be impossible (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes: much clipped (...) Orbit is a balance between a spacecraft's velocity and the downward pull of gravity. The vehicle's velocity pulls it outward, like centrifugal force in a car turning a corner, and gravity (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I was only having some fun with the oil part of the letter, I knew that you probably did not use oil in outer space, I mean, after all, the general consensus in outer space would reflect that you would use environmentally friendly materials (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

The original Pantone pallette I used had CMYK values, I translated them via Photoshop for your convience. I assumed in web development (like the colors use on the BricWorx color selector) and most non-print graphic design are done in RGB. SteveB (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

(...) HSL and HSV are both valid models, IIRC I think they are close but not the same. I forget the difference. I think Luminance (and the entire RGB model too) is more useful or applicable for things that do color by giving off light, like monitors (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

(...) CMYK is Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black (subtractive color model vs RGB additive color model). CMY gives you a muddled gray/brown so K is added for pure black. Go to (URL) then option 2b, Color Theory for a nice presentation on the topic. I (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

(...) I'm assuming "CMYK" translates to something along the lines of Blue,Red,Yellow,Black? Or more appropriately "Cyan","Magenta","Yellow",K? (what the heck would K be?) If you had the CMYK values, could these be mathematically translated into (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

(...) ought to do that sampling on their own?? I was at an ink manufacturer recently and they can take colors in either RGB or CMYK but prefer the latter. (they also have spectrophotometers that you can just put things under and get ink recipes from (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

Here's a different type, one for print colors (CMYK). To read those color values, use something like Photoshop to sample inside framed boxes. some of these may be considered official, as well as the naming scheme. (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: RGB color values for many brick colors

(...) Tres useful! Ought to be widely crossposted! (seems like FAQ material, almost) ++Lar (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) And I thought I'd drifted off the subject... :-) I don't know of any form of reciprocating or rotating engine that could propel you through space, so engine oil seems a bit pointless. As for overheating, the only way to disperse heat in space (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: UML +/-

(...) Understandable. Actually, I *didn't* get the impression that you didn't like UML; I just got the impression that its uses weren't fully, well, useful to you. <shameless plug> My dad's methodology, while not directly opposing UML, challanges (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) The first problem I have, Jason, is that I am not sure that everyone else is right, either on these bulletin boards and I know for a fact that I am not probably right in my ways of thought in my life. Would an overheated engine become a (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: UML +/-

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> Rereading that it sounds like I don't like/approve of UML. That would be incorrect. That it has been adopted as a standard instead of several rival notations and methodologies is a *huge( win (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Yes, but the point is you'd roll by 90° to turn, not just bank a little bit. Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Well the A-wing flight control system doesn't discriminate between air and space flight either so it's control surfaces move in space as well, producing little affect except a little momentum. I think as a Valkyrie has 2 widely spaced engines (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) You're not seen as evil. It's just that if you're unsure of what you're saying, don't try to make out that it's absoulutely right, and people won't mind if your opinion differs from theirs. (...) Just to add to this, possibly blurring the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact