 Off-Topic / Geek / 303
Re: Forging an NNTP header Message-ID
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:52:51 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:

How does one construct an NNTP header Message-ID?  Is there an algorighm?
Is it random?

There are many different types of algorithms, I believe, but the main
point is that the Message-ID header needs to be unique.  The domain part
of the Message-ID makes sure that anybody on a different domain gets a
different ID.

The local part is normally made up by a function of the name of the
machine, the username, the process number and the time.  That way, it is
impossible to generate two equal Message-IDs.

A person who is active on a Norwegian newsgroup has a funny variation on
this: He uses <number@domain.no> as Message-ID, where number is the
number of microseconds since the turn of the century.  Knowing that he
is the only one using his domain, these Message-ID will always be unique.

I always generate my own Message-ID's.  This has the advantage that I
can score articles on the References header, so that follow-ups to my
own posts get a higher score.

Fredrik