 Off-Topic / Geek / 223
222  |  224
Subject:
Forging an NNTP header Message-ID
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:07:03 GMT

Hey all NNTP gurus,

How does one construct an NNTP header Message-ID?  Is there an algorighm?
Is it random?

I'm writing a script in Perl which would use Net::NNTP to submit an article
to an NNTP server.  However, I would need to supply the entire text of the
message, including headers.  Everything looks fine to me so far, except for
the Message-ID header line.  Here's a sample:

It looks something like:

  (BIG_HEX_NUMBER_A).(BIG_HEX_NUMBER_B)@(E-MAIL_DOMAIN)

(duh :-)

The "io.com" is obviously pulled from my e-mail address; I'm actually
posting from a machine in the novell.com domain.  I've scanned RFC 0977, and
have found several instances where the Message-ID is used, but not any where
it's created / generated.  I've also watched packet traces, thinking that
Netscape will somehow ask LUGNET to assign a Message-ID when I start a new
message, but no such luck.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--