 Off-Topic / Geek / 3012
Re: DPI help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 22:35:55 GMT

Hey Bram,

Sorry I didn't get into this thread before.

What print driver are you using? Are you trying to spool the whole image
over first, or printing while the file sends? Also, what program are you
using to print from, and can you export to other formats from the program
(say, TIFF or EPS).

In my experience the built-in RIP likes Illustrator EPS best, or EPS images
placed into Illustrator. PageMaker works well also. If you can render the
image at 1/4 size and place it into one of these programs, scaling them up
in the program works well. Also, have you ever used the HP built in scaling?
You might be able to render the 1/4 scale image and use hardware
interpolation to print full size.

Of course, if you know of anyone with a printer that has a Fiery RIP...you
might try your local Kinko's.

Matt

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Does anyone know the minimum dpi I can render my image and still
take advantage of the 300 dpi of the plotter?

From some test prints, I saw that the DPI isn't going to matter very much,
so I went with 250 DPI to save some rendering time.  However, it's taking
almost as long to print as it did to render.  The image is about 200 MB
(uncompressed), but the computer hooked up to the plotter only has 128 MB of
RAM and a PII processor.  I keep getting memory errors, but it takes about
an hour before I get one :(  I gave up on the 60x20" and am now trying to
print a 48x16" image at 250 dpi...we'll see how it goes.
Watching the progress bar inch along 1% at a time,
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34