 Off-Topic / Geek / 3009
Re: DPI help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 03:18:45 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Bram Lambrecht writes:
[FUT lugnet.off-topic.geek]

I'm going to be printing a rendering of my current architecture on a 24"
plotter, so I need to how large I should render the image.  The maximum color
resolution of the plotter is 300x300 dpi.  However, IIRC, since printers
actually drop 4 or so ink droplets for each pixel, a 300 dpi image is kind of
excessive.  Does anyone know the minimum dpi I can render my image and still
take advantage of the 300 dpi of the plotter?

All depends on your viewing distance...  If it's a poster to hang on the
wall, intended to be viewed at 5 feet away or more, you can easily get away
with 150x150 dpi, and often 75x75 dpi.  Also depends on how quick/abrupt
your color changes are, and how many straight lines you have.  If it's going
to be framed as artwork, don't go lower than 300x300 dpi.  At 300x300 dpi,
you'll have a large image file, but the printer shouldn't have any trouble
rendering it in swaths if it has at least 64MB of RAM in its RIP engine.

It's a 4-color CMYK model and not an 8-color model, right?  If it's 4-color
it will look great at 300x300 dpi, and if it's 8-color you'll be blown away.

Details: HP DesignJet 750C Plus (D/1A)
Final plot size: 20"x60"
preliminary rendering: http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/architecture/asfront.jpg
more images of the building:
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/architecture/proj4/
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/architecture/as3d.jpg

As you can see, 60"x20" @ 300 dpi would be 18000x6000 pixels, which could
potentially take very long to render in POV-Ray...

If they'll let you do a test run, you might want to try rendering a small
section of it, say 20" wide by 4" tall, at various resolutions, print those,
and see how you like that first before rendering the whole shebang.

--Todd