 Off-Topic / Geek / 2955 (-10)
  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) **snip** (...) Not as tragic, presumably, as if the aliens had landed, but that's another matter. That same guy (whose name I forget but could find easily enough if I weren't so lazy at the moment) directed City of Lost Children, another (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) If I may stray into the topic of Alien IV, I've always found it ironically amusing that the crew remarked how beautiful Earth is as they entered the atmosphere shortly after the mothership took out all of southern Africa. The crew seemed to be (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) The Sulaco was sent out on a special mission. Quite a lot of the ship was unused at the time. I typed up a big ol' blurb about it here: (URL) Lieutenant, Fleebnork Division Muffin Head (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) After hearing the premise of Alien 3, I determined that I would never, ever watch it. Still haven't. :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:>I saw the first showing in a mostly empty theatre with really high-backed (...) Back in '92 a local theater showed the Alien triple-header to a mostly empty theater. It was wild to see the three (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) That's true, and a good point. For consistency's sake, I guess we could posit that the automated ships aren't sufficiently savvy to drop from orbit and land in hostile environments without some sort of ground-based guidance, but even this (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) "We're looking for a few good men and women, and we *do* mean a few." (...) Not bad, and not inconsistent with most of what we see. Would there have been sufficient gravity, then, for the alien and Ripley to fall into the airlock? That would (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) I'd always understood it (aside from the dramatic necessities of the plot line) as a logical extension of the colonial marine mentality of "be prepared". It may well be more economical in the long run to send a ship that can do 95% of what (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) That's down sizing for you. (...) Perhaps gravity genarators are very large pieces of equipment? (...) I'd say the propulsion systems WE'RE needed. (...) Perhaps the ship is multipurpose and designed to fight it's way into a heavily defended (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Alien and gravity

(...) The ship and crew are full of gravity throughout the movie; it's a grave situation. (I apologize.) (...) I just saw Aliens again this weekend, and I have another question. Why does a ship the size of New Jersey (or whatever its size--it's (...) (23 years ago, 18-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact