 Off-Topic / Geek / 2858
2857  |  2859
Subject:
Sony VAIO C1VN Picturebook (was: UXGA (1600x1200) notebooks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:46:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jamie Obrien writes:
Howdee, virtual screens/desktops still screw with my mind!! Had a go
with a Vaio (don't know which one) but has anyone had any problems
regarding background lighting. I have a chocking time with fluro
lights at any time, but it seemed to be worse with the laptop. Though
with a blue light (and running from the laser as we thought it going
to blow up, again.)

I have a Sony VAIO C1VN Picturebook and I find that it's easier to read the
screen in natural lighting than in fluorescent lighting.  It actually seems
dimmer in the fluorescent lighting...strange.  But it's not bad.  It might
also be that my CRT display at work is set extra bright.

Only thing to worrk about now is operating temp. I'm guessing 50'C+
aint gonna be nice for the beast, can you get cooling pads/gas or are
they a 3rd/4th party item?

The C1VN runs *very* cool -- I haven't measured it, but I'm guessing it
typically runs about 35-40 degrees centigrade or about 90-105 degrees
fahrenheit.  Basically about body-temperature.  It's because of the
Transmeta Crusoe processor.  It has an internal fan (very quiet) and
modulates that as necessary.  Computing fractals makes it run hotter, typing
makes it run cooler.

PS. Any problems getting Linux to install and run cleanly, or was it
more of a prolonged exchange of annoying audible tones :-)

I'll let you know when I get to that point.  I'm going to wait for RHL7.1 to
come out.  Dan Boger mentioned on another node of this thread that he had
good luck with it on another VAIO model.

<Do people really watch DVDs on their laptops?>

I watched _The Matrix_ at 1024x480 widescreen and it was beautiful.  With
headphones, of course.  The C1VN's DVD drive is external, however, so I
can't just go around watching DVD's on public transportation.  :-)  But
that's not what I bought it for.  BTW, it's got a 12GB hard drive, which is
really nice for music, among other things.

--Todd