 Off-Topic / Geek / 2811
Re: Microsoft spreads Linux FUD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:21:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Erik Olson <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote:
''Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer,'' [Microsoft's] Allchin said. ''I can't imagine
something that could be worse than this for the software business and the
intellectual-property business.''

Well, this part IS true, as far as it goes. That's the idea, after all!!! If
you read the GNU Manifesto, it comes through loud and clear. MS has a simple
answer to it though, make stuff that's so much *better* than what you can
get for free that people want to buy it.

(conceptually simple concept, probably hard for MS to do. They can make
bigger, but better?? :-) )

Or, from
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2682588,00.html>

"It's the business model around free software that concerns us, where people
get sucked in to not paying for software."

Perish the thought of those POOR PEOPLE having to NOT PAY for software. Oh,
the humanity! Gotta love it.

I'd give him a lot more cred if he could dig up examples of where opensource
has actually caused people trouble (where they couldn't get support or
something like that). Of course that's a lot harder to come up with than FUD.

++Lar