 Off-Topic / Geek / 2622
Re: Suggested CD-R(W) Burner programs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 06:38:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Stanley writes:
Are you sure it isn't your burner that doesn't recognize the 80 minute
blanks?  What model do you have?

LG Electronics CD-RW 8x4x32x Internal Rewritable Drive CED-8080B

A blank  80 minute CD shows up the same as a 74 minute one under "My
Computer"...ie, labeled "-empty-" with 0 used and 0 free space.  The only
difference is that the burner programs' "Record" buttons are grayed out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!  (And I hope I didn't waste $17...)

Hrmmm.  Is this in a Compaq computer?  That was the first thing my irc
buddies asked me about it.

They all seemed to think it more likely to be hardware than software, given
this is essentially a "no-name" burner.

Still, you might as well give some other stuff a shot just to make sure.

I'd suggest you try these:

Disc Juggler (free 1x version)
http://www.padus.com/free.htm

Nero:
http://www.ahead.de/en/demo.asp

CDRWIN (30 day 1x version - I've owned this for years)
http://www.goldenhawk.com/

You should be able to determine if you're going to be able to use 80 min
media with at least one of those.  If none of them will recognize the media
you may have bad media or your hardware may just not support it (which seems
unlikely for an 8x burner, but who knows?).