 Off-Topic / Geek / 2377
Re: Arrggh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:33:07 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Christopher Lindsey <lindsey@nospam.mallorn.com> wrote:
Download?  For most of the MP3s that I want, that would be illegal.  So

Why would it be illegal to download an MP3 version of a CD you own, yet be
legal to rip your own? I mean, the whole point of digital media is that two
copies are exactly identical....

Because in one case it's deemed fair use; in the other you're republishing
the work.  But I don't claim to understand the legal intricacies to really
be able to explain this intelligently.  However, since MP3.com was sued for
this exact same behavior and lost, it makes me think that it's illegal.

Besides, I usually like a higher bit rate than other people.  :)

Chris