 Off-Topic / Geek / 236
Re: learning languages (was: Re: Perl rules!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:02:11 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
"What The--?!  Why don't we use words we already know?"
And thus the evil in Grace Hopper begat COBOL.
Hey, don't be dissin' COBOL for that :-(   It served a purpose in its time
(~40 years ago) and it's not COBOL's fault that it's still being used.

I have to admit, I'm something of an anti-COBOL bigot.  That has obviously
clouded my judgement, but I can't see what COBOL could do that FORTRAN
wasn't already doing more cleanly and efficiently, on the same platforms.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--
Jeremy H. Sproat <jsproat@io.com>